How to get shared services, outsourcing and business partnering to deliver what you want
Faced with threats and challenges as never before, HR professionals urgently need to adapt new models to deliver real value to the business. This specially commissioned briefing sets out a blue-print for the future of HR that delivers proven value to the Board, business and colleagues.
This Report is based on interviews with over 60 HR leaders, drawn from all sectors of industry, as well as the public and not for profit sectors.
69% of HR professionals interviewed believed the HR department was falling short of meeting the business’s expectations.
This Report has a clear objective to:
- Reverse the current HR department’s delivery failure trend
- Guide HR professionals to a HR department transformation
- Enable HR professionals to deliver real enhanced value to the organisation
This Report will guide you through:
- How to free up HR to deliver
- The role of the Business Partner
- The role of the Shared Service Centre
- The pros and cons of outsourcing HR
- The critical factors to look for in a partner
- The keys to securing the best agreement
- Techniques for leveraging technology
Who will benefit from this report
- HR Directors
- Group HR Managers
- Business Partners
- HR Controllers
- HR Managers and HR professionals seeking to enhance their value to the organisation
2 The new HR model
- HR operating model
- Moving away from the old model
- Freeing up HR to deliver
- Fulfilling the roles in HR
- Role of the HR business partner
- What does this mean for the line manager?
- The role of the line manager
- Line management concerns
- Role of the HR Center of Excellence
- Role of the Shared Service Center
- Drive down SG&A (sales, general and administrative overhead) costs
- Create a clear relationship between costs and service
- Improve service levels and quality
- Maximise technology investments
- Chapter summary of key messages
3 HR outsourcing
- What are the issues driving companies to outsource their HR function?
- What are the advantages of outsourcing?
- What are the disadvantages of outsourcing?
- How do companies take the ‘make’ or ‘buy’ decision for HR services?
- What are the critical factors to look for in an HR outsourcing partner?
- What is the typical scope of an HR outsourcing arrangement?
- What are the reasons that HR outsourcing may under deliver?
- Should the company fix the problems internally before considering outsourcing?
- What is the likely future of HR outsourcing?
- Five guidelines to help achieve a great HR outsourcing agreement
4 HR shared services
- The model in more detail
- The contact center and customer contact model
- Organising around process
- Advantages of the SSC model
- Disadvantages of the SSC model
- Case study
- Chapter summary of key messages
5 Skills for the New World
- Managing operations
- Managing delivery
- Managing customers
- Managing service
- Managing suppliers
- Accepting new disciplines
- The importance of context
- Analysing the service
- Predicting the future
- Reading between the interpersonal lines
- Technical skills
- Line management
- Evaluating the functions performance
- Further leveraging of technology and outsourcing
- Changing the skills and career path for HR
- Where should HR focus next?
- Scope of services
- Organisation development
- HR strategy
- Labour relations
- Employee development
IAN HUNTER is a highly experienced hands-on HR professional and business consultant, with acknowledged expertise in the areas of transition and programme management, outsourcing and shared service operations and design. He has held senior positions in leading international consultancies, including PWC, Accenture and AT Kearney, as well as executive HR management roles with organisations such as British Petroleum and PepsiCo.
JANE SAUNDERS is an experienced international consultant, with significant experience in the area of HR strategy and transformation. She combines a practical expertise of operational HR delivery, with the consulting experience of shaping and delivering innovative and effective HR solutions. She has held senior roles in both Accenture’s HR Service outsourcing division and its change management consultancy. She has also held senior HR positions within both the professional services and FMCG sectors and has worked internationally within the manufacturing, telecommunications and professional services sectors.
Ian Hunter and Jane Saunders are both founding partners of Orion Partners LLP, a specialist consultancy focusing on delivering strategic HR transformation.
You might also be interested in:
This book is designed for the manager who recognis... Read more...
This practical Report will show you how internal c... Read more...
Based on the authors' extensive research, the book... Read more...